12.17.2007

fair fare hike?!?

Attention to all consumers out there, today is the day! It's the day of the official cab fare hike in Singapore. A glance at the details of the price hike appear to me that those who tend to travel within short distances will be dealth with the greatest blow. The starting fee has a slight increase, some changes were made to midnight charges, huge changes were made to the travelling meter and city charge during peak hour.

In other words, I am going to reduce my use of cabs in Singapore. Upon hearing this, do not view me as a penny pincher even though I am really quite stingy. Haha. The main reason for doing so is because I felt that this price hike is not justified. According to all those theories we studied, price = value. The rise in price should be matched with a rise in value and not a result of rising costs. Afterall, if we consumers value the service of cabbies, we would be more than willing to fork out more for it. So, just how could they increase cab fares fairly? The answer is as simple as ABC, and that is to raise their service quality (if there is any quality in the first place)! I would not say that all cab drivers deliver really bad service but I have had many unpleasant encounters with them. If the customers are playing their part by forking out more money, the cabbies should fulfill their part by providing us with a pleasant service experience. Only nuts would be willing to pay a high price for a distressing service experience.


DD quacked

No comments: